Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gluten Free Around the World

My parents just got back from a 10-day bike trip around Tuscany.  Jealous?  Agreed.  I have been to Italy before and fell in love with the food!  And of course the wine. 

So when my parents decided to go, I was excited for them but also a little jealous that I wouldn't be able to eat the delicious Italian food.*

Until I got this email from my mom:
WHAT?  And the best is that this menu is not from a town that any of us have ever heard of -- no Florence, Rome, Milan for this gluten-free menu!  It is from one of the towns my parents stopped at during their trip.  Now, these are "tourist" places -- but still -- this is Italy we are talking about.  The home of pasta and pizza.  And here, those that can't eat gluten can travel to the birth place of such amazing food [and history] and actually be okay! 

So tonight the Future Husband and I made pasta.  He is part Italian after all!  We made gluten-free ravioli!  It was stuffed with peas and goat cheese.**  Talk about amazing :)  [He and I are still working on our gluten-free pasta recipe -- we can't seem to get it "perfect" but we are getting there.]

So now, I can enjoy amazing gluten-free pasta here at home or in Italy.  And since we will be traveling to Europe next year, it is nice to know that I will be to find some things to eat.  Now if only the French made their bread gluten-free....



*I can eat some gluten.  I have found that if I eat too much in a short period of time, I get an icky rash on my arms.  Nothing itchy, just annoying and not the greatest looking.  So I tend not to eat gluten unless it is worth it.....
**I can handle goat and sheep cheese/milk.  Must be a lactose thing!  So I do use some of these products in my cooking/baking!

1 comment:

  1. So apparently Italy has an exceptionally high rate of celiac disease (like, 1 out of every 10 people or something ridiculous), so much so that children are regularly screened for it and celiacs even receive a state subsidy for the cost of their gluten-free foods!!

    If you end up dining in non-tourist/local restaurants, there are often gluten-free/celiac menus - I just had a friend blog about this as she travels through Italy and Europe - and there's so much awareness that asking locals for gluten-free suggestions will often wind up with at least a few suggestions! I wish I had known this before your last trip to Italy, but there's another one coming up (happy honeymooning!) so this is still, hopefully, in time to save some tummy pains!

    ReplyDelete