Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chocolate Pudding Pie

We had a BBQ with friends this past weekend.  And of course, I brought the dessert.  I had been reading Cooking Light and found a recipe for Rich Chocolate Pudding Pie.  It sounded delicious and pretty easy to make, so I figured why not try it!

I told JA about it and she recommended that I try a similar recipe in a cookbook that she is in love with: Cooking for Isaiah (it is a gluten and dairy-free cookbook).  I wanted to make both of them and then figured we could do a blind taste test to see which one would make the blog.

As I set about baking, I already knew which one I would blog about.  And the reason was simple: it was easier to make.*  This happened to be the Cooking Light version of the pie.   [I had to adapt a few things of course.]

AK’s Cooking Light Rich Chocolate Pudding Pie

Crust:
30 chocolate cookies (I used an entire package of Pamela's Cookies)
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate -- melted
1 oz. dark chocolate -- melted
1 tablespoon canola oil

To prepare the crust, place the cookies in a food processor and process until finely ground.  Add in the melted chocolate and canola oil; process until well blended.  Press the mixture into the bottom and up sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate.  Freeze for about 15 minutes or until set.

Filling:
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup coconut milk (in the can and not light)
1 cup rice milk [mixed with the coconut milk]
2 large egg yolks
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate – chopped finely
1 ounce dark chocolate – chopped finely
1 tablespoon vodka
½ cup fresh raspberries

To prepare the filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt in a large saucepan; stir with a whisk.  Add half of the milk [that you mixed together] and the 2 yolks; stir with a whisk until smooth.  Stir in the remaining milk.  Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stir constantly.  [This took about 5 minutes for me, and the mixture was thick but not so much bubbly.]  Remove from heat and add the 4 ounces of chocolate.  Stir until smooth and add the vodka.  Pour into the set pie crust.

Cover with plastic wrap; chill 4 hours or until set. [I recommend putting it in the freezer.]  Serve with raspberries – use whip cream if you want.**

It was yummy and rich – you don’t need too much!
 

*While the other version turned out great, it was a little difficult to make.  You had to separate egg yolks and whites (not too hard).  Then you had to double boil the egg yolks, whites and also the chocolate.  The author didn’t give enough information to let me know the consistency of the yolks, so the first time, it was too thick.  Then the whites were too thin.  Then…. Finally on round #4, I got it right! This is why I chose to write up the other recipe J

**I found Rice Whip Cream and was extremely excited to try it….. Only to find out it tasted like crap.  I don’t recommend it and neither does JA.  We threw the can away!



Sorry there are no pictures....  I was too busy making the other version of the pie four times to take pictures.  But I can say that it turned out great and I will make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment