Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lime Coconut Blueberry Scones

Yeah, I went a little overboard with the ingredients but they sure turned out good!  I had some blueberries and was craving scones.  So away I went...  I did a little research on the Internet for a starting off point but my favorite bloggers were of no help.  I did find one recipe that I was able to adapt.  These scones were not originally dairy-free so I adapted.  And I seem to be on a coconut kick, so why not make it rich without adding the fat of traditional cream!
 

Without further ado:

2 C GF flour blend [here]
1/2 C sugar + more for sprinkling
1 T baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t xanthum gum
1-2 t lime zest
3 T futter
3/4 C coconut milk (use the stuff in the can -- and be sure to stir it first!) + more brushing the scones
1 egg
1 t vanilla extract
1 C frozen blueberries

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2) Mix all dry ingredients (plus the lime zest) in a large bowl

3) Cut the butter in with a pastry blender or two knives, coating the pieces with flour as you go, until the largest pieces of butter are pea-sized. Keep this mixture cold, chilling it in the refrigerator if the butter starts to soften

4) Add in the blueberries

5) Whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl

6) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture starts to hold together, then gently knead the dough a few times with your hands. Depending on your flour mix, the dough may be very sticky. While this makes it difficult to handle, it is okay. If the dough seems dry and won't hold together easily, add 1-2 T more coconut milk and knead it in (*I had to add about one more tablespoon of coconut milk*)

7) Put the dough on a large baking sheet (I used my silpat as well). Gently push the dough into a flat disk about one inch high. Cut into eight equal pieces and arrange them on the baking sheet about one inch apart. Brush some coconut oil onto the tops of the scones, the sprinkle with sugar.
(*Mine turned out pretty big, so you could easily make smaller ones*)

8) Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one comes out clean. (*Mine baked for 20 minutes!*)

They turned out a little purple but they sure tasted good.  They didn't need futter, or anything!  I couldn't believe how creamy they were -- by far the best scones I have ever made, even when I was baking with gluten and butter!

I am tempted to go back for seconds right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment