Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Biscuits

It has been at least a year since I have eaten a good biscuit.  I always get a little sad when I go out for breakfast...  People around me get to eat the yummy, warm, and usually homemade biscuits with their breakfast.  However, I am stuck just wishing I could eat it.

But just last week I found a recipe that I could adapt. Away I went experimenting.

The first time I made these, I had to use real butter.  I was at my parents' house and I didn't have my "futter" (fake butter) or shortening...  They turned out good but made me a little sick.  So just today I remade them again today with shortening.  They turned out GREAT!

Here is the recipe for AK's Allergen-Free Biscuits:

2 C GF flour blend (see GF Flour Post) + more for dusting
1 1/2 T sugar
3/4 t xanthum gum (this binds everything together since there isn't gluten to bind, you need this!)
1 T baking powder\
3/4 t baking soda
1 t cream of tartar
1/4 C palm oil shortening or futter (either Spectrum Shortening or Futter) **make sure it is cold**
3/4 C rice milk (or whatever milk product you can use) **use up to 1 C as needed**
1 egg (you could also easily use egg replacer)

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2) Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Then in a separate bowl (or measuring cup) mix the rice milk and egg together. 

3) Cut in the futter/shortening -- use a pastry cutter or you can do all of this in your Cuisinart.  You should have pea size futter/shortening mixed in with the flours.  You don't want to fully mix in the futter/shortening -- this will not create the pastry that you want for moist, yummy biscuits!

4) Slowly mix in the rice milk/egg mixture.  This works best with a fork or wooden spoon.  You should have a sticky dough -- add more liquid or flour as needed.

5) On a floured surface (use the GF flour blend) pat out the dough to about an inch thick round thing.  Use a round cookie cutter, a cup -- anything round to cut the biscuits.  You should end up with about 10.  (You will need to put the dough back together and pat it out again a few more times to get all the biscuits cut).

6) Place biscuits on a greased cookie sheet (I use futter or shortening -- or you can use a silpat sheet).  Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown!

I am continuing to experiment on how to make these just a little bit better.  So far these biscuits hit the spot, but I am sure I can make them even better....

[Since I/we are new to writing recipes -- let us know if anything you try on our blog that doesn't work!  We want everyone to eat the best foods possible, and if that means retrying or rewriting a recipe, we will do it!]

No comments:

Post a Comment